Sunday, September 7, 2008

Canning Tomatoes

Talk about walking down memory lane......

I so vividly remember going down and picking bushels and bushels of tomatoes each year and then spending a whole weekend canning them all. It was something that we never missed doing until we all got older and we had less time to do it. Well Mom and Dad went and picked 3 bushels last weekend and after I was done working on Saturday I stayed out there to help her and my grandma can about 25 quart jars and another 15 pint jars of tomatoes.......and start cooking salsa so it could be canned.


Photobucket



Photobucket


Photobucket



Photobucket


Photobucket



Photobucket

Mom chopping stuff to make the salsa, and one of the biggest onions I had ever seen.


Photobucket



Photobucket

Yummmmmm salsa!


Photobucket

After doing that all day on Saturday, we then went to Tim's parents today and peeled and bagged chilies for the freezer, sorry I forgot to take the darn camera for that. Lots of work this weekend, but man it will taste good this winter!

4 comments:

Bridget said...

Wow, that's a lot of tomatoes!! Yum yum Salsa!!! That is a huge onion!

Nicole said...

Yummy. I just love tomatoes.

Welcome to the Mouse House said...

Oh, that sounds so good! I have never done that, but I might try my hand at it next year. I am hoping to get a veggie garden going! I will have to ask you tips!

EthansMommy said...

YUM! I was amazed to know you knew how to can until I saw it wasn't you that was doing it, LOL. We all should learn some time. I have some homemade canned salsa in my pantry right now too, yay!